Family Law Is All We Do

Enforcement of Judgments and Orders in Michigan

So, you got the couch in your divorce, but she won't give it to you.  What  do you do?  You have to go back to Court to enforce the terms of your  Michigan Judgment of Divorce.

  • Many times, although a Michigan  Judgment of Divorce or a Michigan Order of the Court awards property,  support, custody or parenting time, the party obligated to follow the  Michigan Judgment of Divorce or Michigan Order ignores it. 
  • This forces  the party wishing to enforce the Michigan Judgment of Divorce or  Michigan Order to go back to Court to ask the Judge to enforce the  Michigan Judgment of Divorce or Michigan Order of Support.
  • Our Michigan  Divorce and Family Law office is effective in pursuing enforcement of  Michigan Divorce Judgments and Michigan Child or Spousal Support Orders.

Can my spouse file bankruptcy to avoid paying me what he owes in our Michigan Divorce Judgment?

Although one can file Bankruptcy to discharge their debts, usually a property  settlement awarded in a Judgment of Divorce is not dischargable in the  Bankruptcy Court and can be enforced by the Court that entered the  Judgment.

What can the court do to enforce my property settlement in my Michigan Judgment of Divorce?

    • Let's take the couch example above. 
    • Obviously, the Court can Order that the  item be turned over in a certain number of days, or pay a fine.  
    • Frequently, when someone is awarded a piece of property that is  "valuable" to them (usually sentimental value), the other party will  refuse to turn it over. 
    • They may claim it was "ruined" or that "lost".  If that is the case, the Court will generally require repayment for the item.
    • Sometimes the item in  question has a bigger dollar value that a couch, like a large payment due or the sale of a house, or maybe it is that one party refuses to  agree to the price for the sale of a home. 
    • If the party refuses to  cooperate in the sale of an item that is required by a Judgment or Order  or refuses to pay what is owed pursuant to a Judgment or Order, the  Court could appoint a Receiver.
    • A Receiver is an independent person,  usually an attorney, who is appointed by the Judge, and has the power  (among other things) to seize and sell assets.
    • A Receiver can get the job done.  However, items seized are usually sold at a fire sale  price, which can impact the amount of the price for the sale of a home,  or a business if that is what is required. 
    • Also, the fees charged by a  Receiver be high.

Paynter & Associates

Main Office

7071 Orchard Lake Road

Suite 245

West Bloomfield, Michigan 48322

Satellite Office

100 West Big Beaver Road, Suite 200

Troy, Michigan 48084


Phone 248-851-7555

Fax 877-877-7955



SKYPE available upon request


Weekdays:  9am to 5pm.

Early Morning: By appointment only.

Evenings: By appointment only.

Weekends: By appointment only.

Your form message has been successfully sent.
You have entered the following data:

Contact Us

Please correct your input in the following fields:
Error while sending the form. Please try again later.

Note: Fields marked with * are required